Education, Outreach, and Training
MRAG Americas is experienced to provide education, outreach and training for a broad range of topics such as fisheries assessment, data interpretation and analysis, computer software, and fisheries economics methods, through tailored workshops and short courses or through longer term University courses. MRAG offers education and training services in many different areas such as outreach, observer programs and MCS, information technology and workshop facilitation.
We have created education and outreach materials for the Northeast Fisheries Science Center (NEFSC) Observer Program to extend the information available to the industry and help to educate fishing vessel operators of the observer program’s mission, scientific objectives and authority under which it operates. We have developed on printed materials to educate the public on biodiversity, including how and why it should be protected for the Organisation on Eastern Caribbean States (OECS), and bilingual materials for natural resource law enforcement offices in the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.
We have successfully facilitated numerous workshops aimed at developing best practices and techniques to advance US fisheries mandates in the light of changing legislation. These include workshops to address Annual Catch Limits (ACLs), Best Practices in Fisheries Management, and developing a method for vulnerability assessments that can be applied to all fisheries to inform the development of ACLs.
Education, Outreach, and Training Services Offered
- Observer/MSC Training
- Workshop Facilitation
- Education and Outreach Materials
- Information Technology Training
Selected Education, Outreach, and Training Projects
- Creation of a Bilingual Regulations Guide& Complimentary Bilingual Field Guide: “Guide to Regulations Biology for Law Enforcement Officers in Puerto Rico; Suggested Interventions while in the Field” (Client: NMFS Southeast Regional Office)
- Creation of Educational Materials Regarding Impacts to Coral Reefs Caused by the Illegal Collection of Ornamental Fish (Client: NMFS Southeast Regional Office)
- Development of Printed Public Awareness Materials on Biodiversity (Client: Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States)
- Education and Outreach Materials for the Northeast Fisheries Science Center (NEFSC) Observer Program (Client: NMFS, Northeast Fisheries Science Center)
- Rapporteur and moderator for a NMFS workshop on determining optimal observer coverage rates (Client: Alaska Fishery Science Center)
- Workshops to assess fishers’ attitudes toward potential capacity and effort reduction programs in the US Caribbean (Client: Caribbean Fishery Management Council)